Date of birth:
February 9, 1907
Date of death:
September 30, 1988
Hanh Thien village, Xuan Hong commune, Xuan Truong district, Nam Dinh province
- Party General Secretary from May 1941 to October 1956 and from July 1986 to December 1986
- Deputy of the National Assembly in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th tenures
- Chairman of the National Assembly Standing Committee in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th tenures
- 1925: Joining a movement demanding the release of nationalist Phan Boi Chau
- 1926: Leading a student strike in Nam Dinh to mourn well-known nationalist Phan Chu Trinh, then expelled from school
- 1927: Joining the Hoi Vietnam Cach Mang Thanh Nien (Vietnamese Revolutionary Youth League)
- 1929: Joining the campaign for the establishment of the Dong Duong Cong San Dang (Indochinese Communist Party) in northern Vietnam.
- 1930: Appointed to the central department for propaganda at the Dang Cong San Dong Duong (Communist Party of Indochina).
- End of 1930: Arrested by French colonists, then sentenced to 12 years in prison and exiled to Son La. Released from prison in 1936.
- 1936 – 1939: Working as a member of the northern region’s Party Committee and representing the Communist Party of Indochina in the northern region’s committee of the Democratic Front
- 1940: Becoming Editor-in-chief of “Giai Phong” (Liberation) newspaper, an organ of the northern region’s Party Committee. At the 7th Party Central Committee plenum, he was elected to the Party Central Committee and Acting General Secretary of the Party.
- 1941: Elected Party General Secretary at the 8th plenum of the Party Central Committee; holding the posts of head of the Party Central Committee’s department for communication and education and department for public mobilisation, and Editor-in-chief of “Giai Phong” newspaper
- 1943: Sentenced to death in absentia by French colonists.
August 1945: Assigned to be in charge of the National Uprising Committee at the Party’s national congress.
- 1951: Re-elected to the Party Central Committee at the 2nd National Party Congress; holding the post of Party General Secretary until October, 1956.
- 1953: Head of the Land Reform Committee of the Party Central Committee.
- 1958: Appointed as Deputy Prime Minister and chairman of the State Committee for Science.
- September 1960: Re-elected to the Party Central Committee and the Politburo at the 3rd National Party Congress
- December 1976: Re-elected to the Party Central Committee and the Politburo at the 4th National Party Congress.
- 1981: Elected as Chairman of the Council of State and Chairman of the Council for National Defence by the National Assembly.
- March 1982: Re-elected to the Party Central Committee and the Politburo at the 5th National Party Congress.
- July 14, 1986: Re-elected as Party General Secretary to replace Le Duan who passed away, at the Party Central Committee’s special meeting.
- December 1986: Honoured as an advisor to the Party Central Committee at the 6th National Party Congress.
- September 30, 1988: Passing away in Hanoi.